Sarcoxie in Jasper County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Established in 1831 Sarcoxie was originally called Centerville. The town was later named after a friendly local Indian chief, Rising Sun of the Turtle Band of the Delaware Indians who was also known as "Chief Sarcoxie." Sarcoxie is the oldest town in Jasper County and has been known as the Strawberry and Peony Capitol of the World.
Elevation: 1088 feet
Location. 37° 4.186′ N, 94° 6.966′ W. Marker is in Sarcoxie, Missouri, in Jasper County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Street and Cross Street, on the left when traveling north on 5th Street. Click for map. Mural is along the 5th Street wall of the Gene Taylor Library and Museum, on the north side of the town square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 506 Center Street, Sarcoxie MO 64862, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sarcoxie Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cave Springs' Cemetery Civil War Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away); Rendezous At Carthage (approx. 12.3 miles away); Last Skirmish of the Battle of Carthage (approx. 12.4 miles away); American Legion Post 431 Veterans Memorial Carthage (approx. 12.8 miles away); Vietnam Memorial For Casualties From Missouri (approx. 13 miles away); The Battle of Carthage (approx. 13 miles away).
Also see . . . History of Sarcoxie, Missouri. (Submitted on June 2, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 675 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.