Genesee Depot in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1979 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 09-01.)
Location. 42° 58′ Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: S42 W31400 Hwy 83, Genesee Depot WI 53127, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saylesville (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lapham Peak (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Lapham Peak (approx. 4.7 miles away); Waterville (approx. 5 miles away); Palestine School (approx. 5.6 miles away); Dousman (approx. 5.9 miles away); Masonic Home (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Cobblestone (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Historic Genesee Township. (Submitted on June 16, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
1. More History
Originally the area was known for its sheep raising and growing of grain. Genesee Woolen Mill was erected by T.D. Hicox. James Proctor, an experienced mill operator, ran it and people came from all around to use its services. This first mill burned down and a new larger one was constructed. The mill continued operation until 1914 after sheep were no longer raised in the area. Trains no longer came through the town by 1955 after having at least 10 trains every day.
— Submitted October 14, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 761 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.