Inscription. Settled predominently by English, Irish & Welsh, Genesee Depot became a thriving settlement when Milwaukee & Mississippi railroad laid tracks through area in early 1850s. Settler John Magee was instrumental in bringing rail service which had originally been planned for community of Genesee to southeast, when asking price for land there was considered too high. After railroad depot was constructed, Benjamin Jenkins built a store and warehouse & post office also then moved. The growing area became known as Genesee Depot & with many nearby dairy farms, it became the largest milk run shipping station on the line until 1908. Many buildings in Genesee Depot date back to the 1800s and help area retain the charm of that earlier period, including old St. Paul's Catholic Church built in the early 1870s, the Union House Hotel circa 1860, the Proctor house also dating to 1860s behind which stood Genesee Woolen Mill, the railroad depot built in 1897 after first one burned. Town Hall was built in 1912. In more recent times, Genesee Depot had been the home for many years of America's noted first couple of theatre, Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne.
By Linda Hansen, 2009
|1. Genesee Depot Marker|
Erected 1979 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 09-01.)
Location. 42° 58′
N, 88° 22.375′ W. Marker is in Genesee Depot, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Wisconsin Route 83 east of Depot Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: S42 W31400 Hwy 83, Genesee Depot WI 53127, United States of America.
By Linda Hansen, 2009
|2. Old Town Hall|
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Saylesville (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lapham Peak (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Lapham Peak (approx. 4.7 miles away); Waterville (approx. 5 miles away); Palestine School (approx. 5.6 miles away); Dousman (approx. 6 miles away); Masonic Home (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Cobblestone (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Historic Genesee Township. (Submitted on June 16, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
1. More History
Originally the area was known for its sheep raising and growing of grain. Genesee Woolen Mill was erected by T.D. Hicox. James Proctor, an experienced mill operator, ran it and people came from all around to use its services. This first mill burned down and a new larger one was constructed. The mill continued operation until 1914 after sheep were no longer raised in the area. Trains no longer came through the town by 1955 after having at least 10 trains every day.
— Submitted October 14, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 285 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 3, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |