Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
As a member of Governor Troup’s staff, Seaborn Jones came to the site of Columbus with LaFayette in 1825. Lawyer, planter, solicitor-general of the Ocmulgee Circuit, (1817-1818), he was a member of Congress in 1835-45-47. President James K. Polk, President Millard Fillmore, Henry Clay, and General Winfield Scott were distinguished visitors entertained in this house by Colonel Jones.
In 1878, the place became the home of Captain and Mrs. James J. Slade, and the name changed to St. Elmo. Captain Slade once conducted a girls’ school here.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 29.367′ N, 84° 57.979′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2808 18th Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leonard Spring (approx. 0.3 miles away); “Wildwood” (approx. half a mile away); Secondary Industrial School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Eugene J. Bullard, 1895-1961 / World’s First Black Combat Aviator (approx. 0.7 miles away); He Helped Bring And Keep Fort Benning (approx. one mile away); Carson McCullers (approx. 1.2 miles away); Colored Department of the City Hospital / Doctors and Nurses (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Cedars (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . St Elmo - Historic Architecture and Landscapes of Georgia. Digital Library of Georgia (Submitted on June 18, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 552 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4, 5. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.