Near Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Fort Wilkinson
Erected 1971 by Nancy Hart Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 33° 2.735′ N, 83° 12.599′ W. Marker is near Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker can be reached from Rock Hill Road east of Vinson Highway (County Route 112) when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Wilkinson (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cedar Lane Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Milledgeville State Hospital (approx. 0.8 miles away); Route of Gen. Kilpatrick’s Cavalry (approx. 2.1 miles away); Old Oglethorpe University Carl Vinson • Mary Green Vinson (approx. 2.3 miles away); Rear Admiral John W. Wilcox (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Methodist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milledgeville.
More about this marker. This marker is located .2 mile from the "Nearby" Fort Wilkinson Historic marker on Vinson Road. It is located at the site of the old fort about 100 yards up the hill from the parking area.
Also see . . . U.S. - Creek Treaty of Fort Wilkinson. Text of the actual treaty of 1802 is detailed. (Submitted on June 20, 2011.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Charles Smith of Milledgeville, Baldwin Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,040 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Charles Smith of Milledgeville, Baldwin Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.