Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Liberty in Tioga County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Williamson Road

 
 
Williamson Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 5, 2011
1. Williamson Road Marker
Inscription. At Liberty was located a storage depot known as the Block House. It was built of logs, about 20x40 feet in size. Supplies were kept there and bread baked for the road builders, 1792-96.
 
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Museum and Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 33.533′ N, 77° 6.311′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Pennsylvania, in Tioga County. Marker is at the intersection of Shaffer Hill Road and Blockhouse Road (Pennsylvania Route 414), on the right when traveling north on Shaffer Hill Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liberty PA 16930, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Staff Sergeant Ryan Scott Ostrom (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Coal Discovery (approx. 7.4 miles away but has been reported missing); William B. Wilson (approx. 7.6 miles away); Coal in Tioga County (approx. 8.2 miles away); Blossburg Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.6 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 10.4 miles away); Sheshequin Path (approx. 11.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Liberty.
 
Also see . . .  History of Lycoming County, Chapter 48: The Williamson Road -- Susquehanna Trail
Wide view of the Williamson Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 5, 2011
2. Wide view of the Williamson Road Marker
. One of the most remarkable pieces of road construction ever attempted in this country and that, too, at a time when facilities for doing this kind of work were of the crudest character and most of it had to be done by hand, was the building of what was known as the "Williamson Road." (Submitted on June 7, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
The Site of the Block House image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 5, 2011
3. The Site of the Block House
Now occupied by modern buildings in the borough of Liberty.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 292 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement