Chester in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Cromline House
Erected 1935 by State Education Department.
Location. 41° 22.66′ N, 74° 14.53′ W. Marker is in Chester, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on New York State Route 94 0.7 miles from Johnson Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3292 State Route 94, Chester NY 10918, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pine Hill Farm (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to Chester (approx. 0.4 miles away); Greycourt - Orange Co., N.Y. (approx. 1.3 miles away); Chester, New York (approx. 1.8 miles away); 1915 Chester Depot (approx. 1.8 miles away); Hambletonian (approx. 2 miles away); Hambletonian Monument (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named Welcome to Chester (approx. 2.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chester.
More about this marker. In 2008 marker was found laying on ground. Nov. 2009 - it has been repainted and is in the custody of the Town of Blooming Grove Historian, Jeanne Versweyveld, awaiting
Regarding Site of Cromline House. Daniel Crommelin’s Inn, according to Bull family tradition, was of wooden frame except for one wall of stone where was located a large fireplace. After serving as an important respite along the King’s Highway, the road connecting the Hudson River at New Windsor with the Delaware River at Trenton, New Jersey. It fell into disrepair and was razed in 1832. Two stones from the fireplace, marked DC and CC for Daniel Crommelin and his son Charles and also marked with the date 1716, were salvaged by Ebenezer Bull in 1832 and installed in his stone house, originally built by William Bull starting in 1722. Ebenezer used the marked stones to partially fill in a doorway in the gable end of the house that had been used by William Bull to bring grain into the attic for dry storage.
1. Site of Cromline House Marker repainted.
The Office of Orange County Historian, Ted Sly, has cleaned and repainted this marker. It is now in the custody of Town of Blooming Grove Historian, Jeanne M. Versweyveld, awaiting reinstallation.
— Submitted November 6, 2009, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. This page has been viewed 797 times since then and 67 times this year. Last updated on , by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. 3, 4. submitted on , by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. 5. submitted on , by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.