Eagle in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
By (1880) Eagle was third in commercial importance in the county with two drygoods stores, (Combs Bros, and Lins), two clothing and tailor shops, (Bessingham & Lins), two hardware stores (McWilliams & Lins), the Lins butcher shop, Bevins grocery & harness shop, millinery shop, 3 saloons, a 15,000 bushel capacity elevator and warehouse (Clemens & Hall), Klines's Hotel, a 3 story school house and Methodist Church.
Biggest sensation: 1876 discovery of 16-Karat diamond in the Tom Devdreaux' Well. After many lawsuits, fake mines, and several years at Tiffany's in New York, the stone, still uncut, was on display at the American Museum of Natural History until 1964 when it was stolen and never recovered. Here the Hill was renamed “Diamond Hill”. A surveyor's benchmark is located at the site of the first depot that gave birth to Eagle.
Erected 1992 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 07-01.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Grove Street, Eagle WI 53119, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cobblestone (approx. 1.8 miles away); Palestine School (approx. 2.3 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 4.3 miles away); Black Hawk War Encampment (approx. 7.2 miles away but has been reported missing); East Troy Railroad (approx. 7.2 miles away); Mukwonago (approx. 7.3 miles away); Genesee Depot (approx. 7.9 miles away); Heaven City (approx. 8.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Eagle.
1. Additional history
The Town of Eagle was named by prospectors in 1836 after being inspired by an eagle hovering over a mound of land nearby. The town has also been called Bullion and Eagle Prairie.
Eagle was platted when the Milwaukee and Mississippi railroad came in 1851. That's when businesses, schools, and churches were built at what was called Eagle Center.
By 1880 Eagle was
In 1876, a 16-karat diamond was discoered in Tom Devereaux's well after diging deeper to find more water. A couple more diamlonds were discovered there that turned out to be "planted" South African diamonds.
After that, hopes for a diamond mine were crushed. The uncut stone was bought by Tiffany's for $850. It was on display there many years. Then it was moved to the American Museum of Natural History in New York until 1964 when it disappeared and has never been found. The hill where the diamond was found continues to be called Diamond Hill.
The sale of the stone started endless litigation, but the evidence brought forward was insufficient to bring conviction of fraud.
— Submitted July 13, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 591 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. 4, 5. submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. 6. submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on March 2, 2017.