North Olmsted in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Oxcart Library
In 1829 the citizens of Lenox voted to change the township name to Olmsted as their part of a bargain to acquire 500 books owned by the heirs of Aaron Olmsted.
Believed to be the first publicly-owned library in the Western Reserve, the books were brought from Hartford, Connecticut, by oxcart and were stored in settlers' cabins.
The remaining 125 volumes are now housed in the North Olmsted Public Library.
Erected 1979 by North Olmsted Landmarks Commission and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 24.733′ N, 81° 55.546′ W. Marker is in North Olmsted, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is on Butternut Ridge Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is near the Butternut Ridge Road entrance to the North Olmsted Branch of the Cuyahoga County Public Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27403 Lorain Road, North Olmsted OH 44070, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. North Olmsted Veterans Plaza (approx. 0.4 miles away); Springvale Ballroom Butternut Ridge Cemetery 1835 (approx. 1.1 miles away); North Olmsted (approx. 1.3 miles away); Coe Ridge (approx. 1.9 miles away); John J. Donnelly (approx. 2.2 miles away); Jack Miner (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Weston House / Sandstone Houses (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in North Olmsted.
Also see . . . The Oxcart Library. (Submitted on June 12, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.