“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Austinville in Wythe County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Fincastle County

Fincastle County Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 28, 2011
1. Fincastle County Marker
Inscription. Fincastle County, established in 1772, was formed from Botetourt County. The Fincastle County seat was located opposite the lead mines on the north side of the New River in the western end of present day Austinville. In 1775, the Fincastle County Committee of Safety filed its resolutions with the Continental Congress supporting other American colonies’ efforts for self-determination. The resolutions suggested the citizens were supportive of King George III, but they were not willing to be subjected to the possible loss of liberty and property. The county became extinct in 1776 when it was split into Montgomery, Washington and Kentucky (now the state of Kentucky) Counties.
Erected 2002 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number KD-5.)
Location. 36° 53.128′ N, 80° 54.175′ W. Marker is near Austinville, Virginia, in Wythe County. Marker is on Fort Chiswell Road (U.S. 520) just south of Austinville Road (County Route 619), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austinville VA 24312, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jackson’s Ferry and Shot Tower (approx. 2 miles away); Austin's Birthplace
Fincastle County Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 28, 2011
2. Fincastle County Marker
(approx. 3.6 miles away); Carroll County / Wythe County (approx. 3.6 miles away); Anchor and Hope Plantation (approx. 4.8 miles away); Lead Mines (approx. 4.8 miles away); Wythe County Poorhouse Farm (approx. 9.5 miles away); Walter Crockett (approx. 9.7 miles away); Robert Enoch Withers (approx. 10.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austinville.
More about this marker. This marker replaces a 1932 marker with the same number titled “Seat of Fincastle County” that read “Three miles southwest, on New River, was the seat of Fincastle County, which from 1772 to 1776 embraced Southwestern Virginia, including Kentucky. There are the ancient lead mines, visited and described by Thomas Jefferson.”
Also see . . .  Wikipedia Entry for Fincastle County, Virginia. “Fincastle County was created in 1772 from Botetourt County, whose boundaries extended all the way to the Mississippi River. Fincastle County was abolished in 1776, and divided into three new counties - Montgomery Country, Washington County, and Kentucky County (which later became the Commonwealth of Kentucky).

“The name remains on Virginia maps with the town of Fincastle, the county seat of the original Botetourt County. The town was possibly named after the English home of Governor Norborne Berkeley, 4th Baron Botetourt. Lord Botetourt was a very popular governor of the Virginia colony, and died just before the tensions of the impending American Revolution made the job much more difficult.

“John Murray, 4th Earl of Dunmore and Viscount of Fincastle, succeeded Lord Botetourt. Fincastle County may have been named in his honor, or for his son Lord Fincastle. If so, the decision to change the name in 1776 is very logical. At that time, Lord Dunmore was leading the military opposition to the "rebels" in Virginia, and had already issued the Emancipation Proclamation offering to free any slave who fled their Virginia masters and joined the royal British forces.” (Submitted on June 12, 2011.) 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsWar, US Revolutionary
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement