“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Tilden in McMullen County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


Cross Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gansito Marinela, May 13, 2006
1. Cross Marker
Inscription. This community (earlier known as Nopal, San Miguel, Franklin) is one of area's first permanent settlements. Named for Samuel C. Cross, who opened grocery store, became first postmaster, 1924. Post office closed, 1934. Gas well completed nearby, 1953, was largest in state at that time. Ranching also is important to economy.
Erected 1967 by Texas Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1118.)
Location. 28° 32.043′ N, 98° 32.795′ W. Marker is near Tilden, Texas, in McMullen County. Marker is on River Street (Texas Route 16). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tilden TX 78072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Producing Gas Well In McMullen County And First Gas Pipeline To San Antonio (approx. 12.6 miles away).
Categories. Notable Places
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gansito Marinela of H-town, Texas. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 62 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Gansito Marinela of H-town, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement