Sir Richard's Landing
Here Reverend George Phillips protest in 1632 against taxation without representation struck the first note of civil liberty heard in this wilderness.
All of the territory from Sparks Street to Mount Auburn Bridge, originally a part of Watertown, was annexed to Cambridge in 1754.
Erected 1948 by Historical Society of Watertown.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 22.473′ N, 71° 8.277′ W. Marker was in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker was at the intersection of Gerry's Landing Road and Greenough Boulevard on Gerry's Landing Road. Click for map. This monument sits in front of the Cambridge Boat Club in a large and heavily trafficked intersection of Gerry's landing and Greenough Boulevard. It is on the western side of the Eliot Bridge and diagonally across from the from Buckingham, Brown and Nichols School and the rear of Mount Auburn Hospital. Marker was at or near this postal address: 2 Gerrys Landing Road, Cambridge MA 02138, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Sir Richard's Landing (here,
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker placed by the Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission. According to "Historical Markers of the Massachusetts Bay Colony," the marker read, "First Settlement. Site of first settlement of Watertown in 1530. Here at the first meetinghouse the Reverend George Phillips protested against taxation without representation in 1632, which resulted in the people participating in the law-making power."
Additional keywords. town boundary
Categories. • Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Russo of Watertown, Mass.. This page has been viewed 439 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Russo of Watertown, Mass.. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.