Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Marshallton

 
 
Marshallton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen J Duncan, June 14, 2011
1. Marshallton Marker
Inscription. By 1767, Solomon Hersey was operating a merchant grist mill in this area along Red Clay Creek. The mill was purchased in 1835 by John Marshall. In the following year he expanded the operation to rolling mills and the settlement that came to be known as Marshallton was established. The community, although not incorporated, was recognized formally in the area maps by the late 19th century. The impact of milling continued to grow when J.R. Bringhurst became the sole owner in 1877 and expanded the rolling mills again. In addition, Bringhurst constructed worker housing facilities nearby to serve the approximately 125 employees. Contributing to the area's industrial growth was the coming of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad during the late 19th century. Due to changing economic conditions in the early 20th century, the industrial focus of Marshallton shifted to the production of vulcanized fiber.
 
Erected 2007 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-171.)
 
Location. 39° 43.632′ N, 75° 38.325′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Capitol Trail and Stanton Rd, on the right when traveling west on Old Capitol Trail. Click for map. The marker sits
Marshallton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen J Duncan, June 14, 2011
2. Marshallton Marker
A view of the marker from Stanton Rd
on a section of grass where Stanton Rd. dead ends an Old Capitol Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington DE 19808, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Home of William Julius "Judy" Johnson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wilmington & Western Railroad (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Delaware Continentals (approx. 0.9 miles away); The "Annie Oakleys": First Female Prison Guards in the United States (approx. 0.9 miles away); Greenbank Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Brandywine Springs (approx. 1.3 miles away); Camp DuPont (approx. 1.3 miles away); Delcastle (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Wilmington.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Marshallton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen J Duncan, June 14, 2011
3. Marshallton Marker
Looking south from the marker, you see the Marshallton United Methodist Church.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stephen J Duncan of Wilmington, Delaware. This page has been viewed 550 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Stephen J Duncan of Wilmington, Delaware. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement