“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Allen in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Allen Cemetery

Allen Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Reynolds, June 14, 2011
1. Allen Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Located on land purchased from Mr. and Mrs. John W. Whisenant, this cemetery was formally established on April 5, 1884, by the International Order of Odd Fellows, local lodge No. 249. Encompassing almost three acres of land, the cemetery has served the Allen Community for over a century.

The oldest legible grave marker here is that of Rebecca L. Hamilton (d. 1883), although local oral tradition holds that earlier graves may exist, including a slave burial ground in the southeast corner of the property.

Tombstone inscriptions reveal evidence of early epidemics and include the names of a number of veterans of foreign wars. Robert J. Cuffman (d. 1918) was killed in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive in World War I. Mahlon Brackney served in the Spanish-American War. Also represented on grave markers here are notable early citizens of the community, including Permelia Ford, a pioneer settler, and doctors H. N. Compton and William F. Wolford.

The Allen Cemetery Association, organized in 1899, cares for the historic graveyard and sponsors annual decoration day.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historic Commission. (Marker Number 123.)
Location. 33° 6.028′ N, 96° 39.935′ W. Marker is in Allen, Texas, in Collin

Allen Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Mark Reynolds, June 14, 2011
2. Allen Cemetery
County. Marker is on E. McDermott Drive. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 312 E. McDermott Dr., Allen TX 75002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stone Dam at Allen Station (approx. 1.1 miles away); Texas Electric Railway Station (approx. 6 miles away); Frankford (approx. 12 miles away); First Baptist Church, Hebron (approx. 12.2 miles away); Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. 13.7 miles away); The Hockaday School (approx. 16.4 miles away).
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Reynolds of Allen, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,020 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mark Reynolds of Allen, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement