Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Field Headquarters of the Union Armies.
Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant.
—Nov. 25th, 1863. —
Field Headquarters of the Union Armies.
Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant
Nov. 25th, 1863.
General Grant was assigned to the Military Division of the Mississippi, comprising the Departments of the Ohio, the Cumberland, and the Tennessee, October 16th, 1863. He arrived at Chattanooga on the 23d.
He had under his command for the Battle of Chattanooga the Army of the Cumberland, General George H. Thomas; the Eleventh and Twelfth Corps, General Joseph Hooker, and four divisions of the Army of the Tennessee, General W. T. Sherman. General Hooker's command was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland. On the afternoon of November 23d Sheridan's and Wood's Divisions of the Fourth Corps supported by the Eleventh Corps on the left and Baird's Division of the Fourteenth Corps in reserve on the right, carried Orchard Knob and Indian Hill to the south of it, constituting the enemy's central line through the plain. On the afternoon of the 24th, Sherman's Army with Davis' Division of the 14th Corps having crossed the Tennessee River at the mouth of the Chickamauga during the night of the 23d, occupied and fortified the detailed range of hills overlooking the north end of Missionary Ridge.
On the same
On the 25th these forces advanced to Rossville Gap and carried the south end of Missionary Ridge in the afternoon of that day. At 3:15 P.M. of the 25th Johnson's, Sheridan's, Wood's and Baird's Divisions, formed from right to left in the order named, starting from this central line captured on the 23d, assaulted and carried first the rifle-pits at the base of the ridge, and immediately thereafter the crest of Missionary Ridge for a distance of three miles. The whole movement occupied a little over an hour, and the captures were 40 guns and about 2,000 prisoners.
Erected by Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Battlefield Commission.
Location. 35° 2.383′ N, 85° 16.433′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker can be reached from Orchard Knob Avenue north of Ivy Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. This historical marker is located in the middle of a residential neighborhood, in the city of Chattanooga, a little less than a mile west of Missionary Ridge. It is situated on the crest of the Orchard Knob Reservation, National Military Park
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The State of Maryland (here, next to this marker); Battle of Chattanooga. (a few steps from this marker); Bridges' Battery, Illinois Light Art'y. (a few steps from this marker); Illinois State Monument (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Casualties (a few steps from this marker); New York Monument (a few steps from this marker); Union Casualties (a few steps from this marker); 82nd Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Chattanooga.
Regarding Field Headquarters of the Union Armies.. The posting for this marker (tablet) has the beginning link (see Related Markers link) for a chain of links that makes up the Union order of battle for November 24th & 25th, 1863. So one can use these links to see the tablets and monuments for each of the Union corps, divisions, brigades, and regiments, involved in the military actions, in the Chattanooga area, on November 24th & 25th.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Use these links to see the tablets of the various army groups, listed on this tablet, under Grant's command at Chattanooga.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 475 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016.