Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Log Cabin Pioneers of Dallas County

 
 
Log Cabin Pioneers of Dallas County Marker image. Click for full size.
1. Log Cabin Pioneers of Dallas County Marker
Marker is missing. If you have a picture of it, please consider adding it to this page.
Inscription. Most colonists first settled in this "Three Forks" area of the Trinity River as members of the Peters Colony after 1841. Immigrants from such states as Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, and Tennessee brought with them a tradition of building log shelters.

Land title was granted to settlers who worked at least 15 acres and built "a good and comfortable cabin upon it." This region was abundant in oak, juniper (popularly called cedar), walnut, ash, bois d'arc, and elm trees, which furnished sturdy building timbers.

John Neely Bryan, a colonist from Tennessee, arrived near this site in late 1841 and built a log cabin in 1842. The area's first school and church was built of logs at Farmer's Branch (12 mi. NW) in 1845. J. W. Smith and J. M. Patterson brought goods from Shreveport (184 mi. E) in 1846 for resale at their log store in Dallas.

Milled lumber appeared in Dallas buildings by 1849, and bricks were available by 1860. That year a fire destroyed most of the town's original log cabins.

The nearby cabin was built of cedar logs before 1850, possibly by Kentuckian Gideon Pemberton. It was moved from its original site (7.5 mi. E) in 1926 and rebuilt at several locations, including Bryan's designated courthouse site (1 blk. SW) in 1936, and this block in 1971.

Texas Sesquicentennial
John Neely Bryan Cabin image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 8, 2011
2. John Neely Bryan Cabin
1836 - 1986

 
Erected 1986. (Marker Number 6775.)
 
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 32° 46.779′ N, 96° 48.417′ W. Marker was in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker was on Main Street just east of North Record Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Dallas TX 75202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Dallas County Records Building (within shouting distance of this marker); John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Formerly The Texas School Book Depository Building (about 400 feet away); Dealey Plaza (about 400 feet away); Kennedy Assassination Route (about 500 feet away); John Neely Bryan and Margaret Beeman Bryan (about 500 feet away); Dealey Plaza National Historic Landmark (about 600 feet away); Site of First Ferry and Bridge (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Dallas.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
John Neely Bryan Cabin image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 8, 2011
3. John Neely Bryan Cabin
John Neely Bryan Cabin image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 8, 2011
4. John Neely Bryan Cabin
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 686 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement