Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
On January 6, 1948, George and Ralph Polfuss (Les Paul's father and brother) opened the Club 400 after major renovations changing it to a nightclub. It was named after the Chicago Northwestern train “400” that stopped across the street at the depot. Les Paul and Mary Ford played their guitars together for the first time at the grand opening.
George Polfuss owned a grocery store in 1903 three doors west of the Club 400. The Club 400 has been on the National Register of Historical Places since 1995.
Erected 2007 by Waukesha County Historical Society funded by 400 Club. (Marker Number 34-01.)
Location. 43° 0.344′ N, 88° 13.976′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Williams Street west of North Grand Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 322 Williams Street, Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milwaukee and Madison Railway Depot (a few steps from this Lindholm Vocational & Adult School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Cutler Home (about 800 feet away); Les Paul (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (approx. ¼ mile away); Waukesha City - Cutler Park (approx. ¼ mile away); American Legion Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Carroll College (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Waukesha.
Additional keywords. Les Paul
Categories. • Entertainment •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 718 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.