Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewisburg in Union County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Underground Railroad

 
 
Underground Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 5, 2011
1. Underground Railroad Marker
Inscription. This old stable was a station on the Underground Railroad. Here fugitive slaves were hidden, fed, and aided in reaching the next station on their journey.
 
Erected 1954 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 57.61′ N, 76° 52.907′ W. Marker is in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, in Union County. Marker is on University Avenue 0.1 miles south of St. George Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 38 University Avenue, Lewisburg PA 17837, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ludwig Derr (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert Lowry (about 500 feet away); Union County (approx. mile away); General Tasker H. Bliss (approx. 0.3 miles away); Catholic Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lewisburg Cross-Cut Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bucknell University (approx. half a mile away); Daniel F. Green (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lewisburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Union County Historical Society: Bliss-McClure House & Carriage House in Lewisburg, PA. (Submitted on June 15, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
2. Underground Railroad - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com
Wide view of the Underground Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 5, 2011
2. Wide view of the Underground Railroad Marker
(Submitted on July 21, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RR
 
Bliss-McClure Carriage House (1854) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 5, 2011
3. Bliss-McClure Carriage House (1854)
The carriage house beside the Bliss-McClure house is the only recognized stop on the Underground Railroad in Union County.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 616 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement