Akron in Summit County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Franklin Augustus “F. A.” Seiberling and The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company
Industrialist and entrepreneur Franklin Augustus Seiberling (1859-1955) named his fledgling rubber goods manufacturing company "Goodyear" to honor Charles Goodyear, the man who invented the vulcanization process for curing rubber. Seiberling founded the company with his brother, Charles Willard, because of their desire to participate in an enterprise that afforded an "opportunity for invention." Incorporated in 1898, Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company rapidly grew with the young automotive industry and helped establish Akron as the "Rubber Capital of the World." Among Seiberling's many significant inventions were the tire-making machine and the detachable wheel rim. He resigned from Goodyear in 1921 and went on to found the Seiberling Rubber Company. Stan Hywet Hall, F.A. Seiberling's estate in west Akron, is a National Historic Landmark.
Erected 2003 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens, Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 23-77.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 3.975′ N, 81° 28.999′ W. Marker is in Akron, Ohio, Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1144 East Market Street, Akron OH 44316, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Middlebury Lodge No. 34 F.&A.M. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Middlebury Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); United States Synthetic Rubber Program 1939-1945 (approx. 1.8 miles away); Wesley Temple African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Motorless Flight (approx. 2 miles away); Karl Arnstein (approx. 2 miles away); Airdock (approx. 2 miles away); 1936 Akron Rubber Strike (approx. 2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Akron.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Goodyear Corporate History. (Submitted on June 15, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. F. A. Seiberling. (Submitted on June 15, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens. (Submitted on June 15, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
4. Origin of the Wingfoot. (Submitted on June 15, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 649 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.