Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Montgomery Avenue and Washington Street

 
 
Mongomery Avenue and Washington Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, April 1, 2006
1. Mongomery Avenue and Washington Street Marker
Inscription. Rockville grew from a convenient crossroads meeting place in the 1750s to become the legal and market center of the county. The tiny village was selected as the seat of local government in 1776 for its central location and the presence of taverns and inns to accommodate those with court business. Rockville was incorporated in 1860.

Rockville's businesses were not separated from the residential areas as today. Craftspeople and merchants often lived on the second story or next to their businesses. However, proximity to the Court House influenced many hotels, inns, and businesses to locate along Montgomery Avenue, Commerce Lane (now West Montgomery Avenue), and Washington Street. The area consisted of a variety of uses, including brick institutional buildings, small frame residences, 19th century hotels, and small businesses. The area of North Washington Street just north of Middle Lane was the location of the earliest black settlement in the town.

In the 1950s, increased traffic, lack of parking, and economic problems led City officials to redevelop the 46-acre area by demolishing most of the old buildings and replacing them with an enclosed mall. The Rockville Mall was razed in 1995 in an effort to revitalize the Town Center.
 
Erected 2001 by City of Rockville, Maryland, and
The Potomac River Water Facility 1958 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, April 1, 2006
2. The Potomac River Water Facility 1958 Marker
At this point the Potomac River Water Facility, constructed by the City of Rockville, was dedicated to the public use october 1958. This marker is across the street from the Montgomery Avenue and Washington Street marker.
the Rockville Historic District Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850 marker series.
 
Location. 39° 5.061′ N, 77° 9.167′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Washington Street north of E. Montgomery Avenue (Courthouse Square), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at Courthouse Square. Marker is in this post office area: Rockville MD 20850, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hungerford Tavern (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Father Divine Birthplace (about 300 feet away); Gibbs v. Broome, et al/1931 Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Hungerford Tavern Site (about 300 feet away); Red Brick Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Rockville (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Rockville (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Hungerford Tavern (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Rockville.
 
More about this marker. This marker is titled "Rockville Business District" on the Historic Rockville Walking Tour web page.
 
Also see . . .  Take a Walking Tour and Explore Rockville.
Montgomery Avenue and Washington Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, June 14, 2011
3. Montgomery Avenue and Washington Street Marker
(Submitted on April 5, 2006.)
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
Marker in the Plaza at Corner of Montgomery and Washington image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 7, 2007
4. Marker in the Plaza at Corner of Montgomery and Washington
Location of Water Facility Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 7, 2007
5. Location of Water Facility Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,916 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   4, 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement