Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Big Bend in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Village of Big Bend

 
 
Village of Big Bend Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, November 9, 2010
1. Village of Big Bend Marker
Inscription. In 1837, in anticipation of the “Great Wisconsin Land Sale” of 1839, Aaron and Elvira Putnam settled near a “Big Bend” in the Fox River. Potawatomi Indians camped on the river, but there were no white settlers at what was then the Milwaukee and Prairieville Trails (now County Highway L, and State Highway 164). Aaron was later joined by his brothers, and early Big Bend owed nearly everything to their enterprising ways. The Putnam brothers built the first sawmill in 1841, the first inn (still standing on the corner of Nevins Street) in 1842, and the first post office in 1846. In 1893, the Hygeia Spring #2 pumped water to be sold for a penny a glass at the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago. Big Bend was noted for its sugar bushes, maple syrup, black walnut and oak trees, the descendants of which are still enjoyed today. The village was incorporated in 1928, the first police department formed in 1941, the first volunteer fire department in 1951, the library in 1964, and the Sibyll Yug Memorial Museum in 1981.
 
Erected 1990 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 01-02.)
 
Location. 42° 52.651′ N, 88° 12.571′ W. Marker is in Big Bend, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County.
Village of Big Bend Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, November 9, 2010
2. Village of Big Bend Marker
Marker is at the intersection of Nevins Street and County Route L, on the left when traveling east on Nevins Street. Click for map. Marker is located in front of Village Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: W230 S9185 Nevins St., Big Bend WI 53103, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Maney Ridge Prehistoric Effigy Mounds (approx. 0.8 miles away); Haseltine Cobblestone House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Town of Vernon (approx. 2 miles away); Dodges Corners Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Reformed Presbyterian Church of Vernon (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old Muskego Town Hall (approx. 3.6 miles away); Muskego (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Electric Interurban Muskego Centre Station (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Big Bend.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Village of Big Bend Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, November 9, 2010
3. Village of Big Bend Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 980 times since then and 130 times this year. Last updated on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement