Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mukwonago in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Mukwonago

The Place of the Bear

 
 
Mukwonago Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, October 20, 2010
1. Mukwonago Marker
Inscription. In days long ago, near and around this village the dwellings of the eastern-born Yankees sprang from the homes of the Native Americans. In 1836, for 2 barrels of flour the first settlers received permission from the Potowatomi to build and dwell here. The settlement was called Meqwwanego. To the west of this marker stands Sewell Andrews’ red brick home with its classic New England doorway. Built in 1842, it was one of the first brick houses in Waukesha County. Two buildings north of this Greek Revival house is the Mukwonago House constructed in 1845 as a local hostelry. Immediately south of Andrews’ house is the original site of the family store. At this location the native-born Vermonter built his first store of logs in 1837. South of the store site stands Judge Martin Field’s dwelling erected in 1843. North of this marker, across Fox Street, lies a triangle of land first owned by Henry Camp. It was here he, Camp built the very first house, a log cabin in 1836. The cabin measured 12x12 feet.
 
Erected 1992 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 18-02.)
 
Location. 42° 51.781′ N, 88° 19.927′ W. Marker is in Mukwonago, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is at the intersection of Wisconsin
Mukwonago Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, October 20, 2010
2. Mukwonago Marker
Route 83 and County Route ES, on the right when traveling north on State Route 83. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mukwonago WI 53149, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Heaven City (approx. 1.8 miles away); Dodges Corners Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Town of Vernon (approx. 4.5 miles away); Saylesville (approx. 5.9 miles away); Village of Big Bend (approx. 6.3 miles away); East Troy Railroad (approx. 6.3 miles away); Haseltine Cobblestone House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Palestine School (approx. 6.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Mukwonago Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, October 20, 2010
3. Mukwonago Marker
Sewall Andrews' House image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, October 20, 2010
4. Sewall Andrews' House
National Register Marker on Sewall Andrews' House image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, October 20, 2010
5. National Register Marker on Sewall Andrews' House
Museum sign outside Andrews' House image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, October 20, 2010
6. Museum sign outside Andrews' House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 788 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement