Near Nokesville in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Union Jack over Dixie
Both Union and Confederate forces passed by here several times in 1862-63. On August 27, 1862, just before the Second Battle of Manassas, Federal divisions under Gens. Jesse Reno and Isaac Stevens, as well as Col. Orlando Poe's brigade, bivouacked here. They marched to Manassas Junction the next day in pursuit of Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's force.
Federal cavalry chased Maj. John S. Mosby's rangers through Greenwich on May 30, 1863, after he raided Catlett Station. Mosby made a stand two miles west with a lightweight mountain howitzer but lost the cannon and several rangers including Bradford Smith Hoskins, a former British officer. Hoskins, carried to The Lawn, died of his wounds and was buried in the church cemetery.
Confederate Gens. A.P. Hill and Richard S. Ewell led their corps
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 45′ N, 77° 38.875′ W. Marker is near Nokesville, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is at the intersection of Vlint Hill Road (State Road 215) and Burwell Road (County Route 604), on the right when traveling south on Vlint Hill Road. Click for map. Located in front of the Greenwich Presbyterian Church. Marker is in this post office area: Nokesville VA 20181, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stony Lonesome Farm (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named “Greenwich” (a few steps from this marker); Grapewood Farm Engagement (approx. 2.2 miles away); Buckland Mills Battle Buckland (approx. 2.6 miles away); Warrenton Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Battle of Buckland Mills (approx. 2.6 miles away); Campaign of Second Manassas (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Nokesville.
More about this marker. A map on the lower left shows the movements pertaining to the Bristoe Station campaign. On the right is a photograph of Greenwich Presbyterian Church (courtesy Prince William County Public Library System, R.E.L.I.C. Room). On the lower right are portraits of Charles Green, Gen. A.P. Hill, Gen. Richard S. Ewell, and Maj. John S. Mosby.
1. Mosby's Cannon
The cannon, used with great effect during the Catlett Station raid on May 30, 1863. It was used to destroy a supply train as it arrived at the station. Then as Mosby was pressed by Federal pursuit in the withdrawal, the rifle was placed along the road on a rise where it could fire down a defile. The Federal cavalry of the 1st Vermont and 5th New York charged four times, until the gun was out of ammunition and abandoned.
Hearing of the loss of the gun, balanced against the destruction of the supply train, General J.E.B. Stuart would remark that Mosby should feel welcome to sell a gun for such a high price any time.
The gun was one of a limited batch produced at Tredegar Foundry in Richmond. It was purchased by the 5th New York's post of the Grand Army of the Republic after the war. Oddly in 1872, two inches of bronze was cut off the muzzle to make a key presented to the Grand Duke Alexis of Russia. Today the old weapon resides at the 45th Infantry Division Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
— Submitted December 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,213 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.