Inscription. Named for English martyr and saint. The parish was organized in 1842. The first church, 1844, stood at the southwest corner of Godís Acre. The first grave was there opened in that year. The edifice was dedicated by Bishop Jackson Kemper in 1866. The crenelated tower and bell were added in 1875. It is patterned after the village church in Peasmarsh, Sussex County, England, home church of some of the founders. Nowhere can be found a finer example of the English Gothic-styled parish church of the period. The guild hall was erected in 1904.
By Paul F, July 1, 2010
|1. St. Albanís Episcopal Church Marker|
“We shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, thy holy temple.” Psalms 65:4.
Erected 1969 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 30-01.)
Location. 43° 8.09′ N, 88° 13.437′ W. Marker is in Sussex, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Maple Avenue 0.1 miles north of Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: W239 N6440 Maple Avenue, Sussex WI 53089, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. First Woman in Town of Lisbon (about 400 feet away, in a direct line); Sussex Mills and Bug Line RR (approx. 0.2 miles away); Zion Evangelical Cemetery (approx. ľ mile away); Sussex (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mammoth Spring Hotel - Saloon (approx. ĺ mile away); Town of Lisbon (approx. 1.4 miles away); Halquist Quarry (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lisbon Plank School (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sussex.
By Paul F, July 1, 2010
|2. St. Albanís Episcopal Church Marker|
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
1. Additional History
In Lisbon Township, one of the first settlers was John Weaver who arrived in 1837. The Weaver family was instrumental in the formation of a church there. Traveling ministers stopped in the town periodically to preach a sermon on a Sunday. The first pastor to do this was elder Griffin in 1839.
Pioneers met in the Weaver barn during those early years. One Sunday there was a temporary choir platform above the hayloft, and it collapsed sending the choir members into the hay below.
The first minister to be hired was Elder Wheelock who was a Methodist. The church was established in October 1842. A frame structure was built first on a one-acre site on May 26, 1844. William Armstrong, a student of the Nashotah House Episcopal seminary, was ordained and took charge of St. Alban's until 1855.
In 1857 three more acres were purchased for the church, which now provided room for the first parsonage to be built in 1859. Weaver's quarry, now Halquist Quarry, provided the stone used for the cornerstone of the new stone church. Bishop Jackson Kemper, who was a founder of Nashotah House, was at the laying of the cornerstone on Aug. 23, 1864.
St. Alban's was named after an English saint and martyr. After all, the people in this town came from Peasmarsh, Sussex, England and brought the memory of the 1090 Norman-built stone Episcopal church they attended there. The township also became known as Sussex.
The church here was described as a substantial building of stone, English in appearance and surrounded by God's Acre (the cemetery), an old English custom. The walls were 23 inches thick giving the inside of the church very good acoustics. The building was consecrated on May 18, 1866. A bell was created in order to follow the custom of tolling the bell for the dead, which tells if you are male or female and how many years you lived. Later in 1875 the bell was mounted in the tower when it was constructed. In the 1870s the glass windows were all replaced by stained glass windows made in France and Italy, which are now priceless.
— Submitted January 6, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 640 times since then. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |