Lisbon in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lisbon Plank School
Erected in 1990 Lisbon Plank School Reunion Committee Revised 2002 Waukesha County Historical Society.
Erected 1990 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-03.)
Location. 43° 6.729′ N, 88° 12.892′ W. Marker is in Lisbon, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Lisbon Road (County Hwy K) ¼ mile west of Wisconsin Route 74, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: W23558 Lisbon Road (County Hwy K), Sussex WI 53089, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Halquist Quarry (within shouting distance Hon. Thomas Weaver Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sussex Mills and Bug Line RR (approx. 1.5 miles away); Sussex (approx. 1.5 miles away); Mammoth Spring Hotel - Saloon (approx. 1.5 miles away); First Woman in Town of Lisbon (approx. 1.6 miles away); St. Alban’s Episcopal Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Zion Evangelical Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away).
1. The Lisbon Plank School
The Lisbon Plank School was the first school in the Lisbon-Sussex School District. The original school building was built between 1839 and 1841 by mason George Elliott with stone from the Weaver Quarry and had only one classroom. It was known as the Lisbon Road School. When the plank road was built of green white oak in front of the school in 1846, the school was renamed the Lisbon Plank School. The first annual Lisbon town meeting was held in the school on April 5, 1842. The building was originally used for church functions and government meetings as well as a school. All eight grades were taught in this elementary school. The school
The one-room school survived until 1950 when many one-room schools were replaced by larger schools. The building was used as a home for a while, and then Halquist Stone Co. purchased it and has been using it as a company store and a mineral and fossil museum.
An all-class reunion for the students and faculty was held Aug. 12, 1990. A memorial tree was planted near the building during the reunion. The first historical marker was placed on that day. You can still see the original school bell on top of the building just over the inscription.
— Submitted May 10, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 779 times since then and 87 times this year. Last updated on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.