Gadsden vicinity in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Richland Presbyterian Church
This church building was dedicated in May 1884 by Dr. John L. Girardeau. The congregation of 11 members, including 2 elders and 1 deacon, was organized on the Sabbath Day, November 16, 1883 by the Charleston Presbytery. In 1914, the church became a charter member of Congaree Presbytery, moving to Eastover in August 1922.
The eleven charter members of this church were Thomas and Lula B. Auld, Augusta H. Bates, Joseph and Clair H. Bates, Elise M. Dwight, Peter and Isabel H. Garick, Glenn and Hattie H. Kaminer, and Belton A. Williams.
Erected 1980 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 40-87.)
Location. 33° 50.639′ N, 80° 42.039′ W. Marker is in Gadsden vicinity, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Fork Church Road (State Road 40-1314), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located between Jack Paul Road and Harold C Hill Road, approx. 500 yards west of Poultry Ln. (State Road 40-56). Marker is in this post office area: Gadsden SC 29052, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eastover (approx. 2.3 miles away); Kingville (approx. St. Phillip A.M.E. Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Kensington (approx. 3 miles away); Gadsden (approx. 3.9 miles away); John M. Bates Bridge (approx. 6.8 miles away); Robert H. Morrell Road (approx. 7.5 miles away); James H. Adams (approx. 7.5 miles away).
Regarding Richland Presbyterian Church. Richland Presbyterian Church is significant as a rare virtually unaltered example of the nineteenth century rural, vernacular church. Its congregation was probably the first organized Presbyterian church in lower Richland County, having its roots in a mission Sunday School established there in 1873. This church was not constructed until 1883, when people of the community with both Lutheran and Presbyterian backgrounds joined together to erect a building on land purchased from the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church. It was dedicated with eleven members by the Reverend John L. Girardeau, Presbyterian theologian, in May 1884. The building remained in use until 1922, when a new brick church in the town of Eastover was completed and occupied. The effort toward relocation had begun in 1919, when the congregation
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 582 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8. submitted on , by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 14, 15. submitted on , by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.