Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Felipe in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Early Roads To San Felipe

 
 
Early Roads To San Felipe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Henderson, May 27, 2011
1. Early Roads To San Felipe Marker
Inscription. During the mid-1820's, When Stephen F. Austin was founding this town, the only roads in the area were wagon ruts or beaten trails marked by notched trees. Within a decade, however, the village of San Felipe, one of the first Anglo settlements in Texas, had become a hub from which 8 or more roads projected.

Many of these were small, intra-colony routes, but the main trails extended to major towns or joined “highways”, such as the San Antonio Road (El Camino Real). A main route which passed through San Felipe was the Atascosita Road, connecting Goliad with the United States. It took its name from Atascosa (Spanish for “Boggy”) Spring near Liberty, which once was its main terminus. The Gotier Trace, another travel artery, was laid out about 1830 by pioneer James Gotier. It joined the Northern and Southern parts of Austin's Colony and was used for decades. The San Felipe Road proper, which ran to Harrisburg, transported goods inland from the Gulf Coast.

Even the main thoroughfares, however, were dusty trails in the summer and impassable quagmires in the winter, often flooded by knee-deep water. Not until well into the 20th Century did Texas begin to develop her present, outstanding highway system.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker
Stephen Fuller Austin monument image. Click for full size.
By Steve Henderson, May 27, 2011
2. Stephen Fuller Austin monument
Number 11707.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail marker series.
 
Location. 29° 48.425′ N, 96° 5.86′ W. Marker is in San Felipe, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is on Farm to Market 1458 0.2 miles north of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Felipe TX 77473, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Bricker (a few steps from this marker); J.J. Josey General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Stephen F. Austin's Cabin (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Town Hall (about 300 feet away); Liedertafel (approx. 4.7 miles away); Martin Allen (approx. 9.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. The Colonial Capital of Texas. Friends of the San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence
 
San Felipe well tablet image. Click for full size.
By Steve Henderson, May 27, 2011
3. San Felipe well tablet
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. This page has been viewed 787 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide area shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement