Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Selçuk in Selçuk District, İzmir, Turkey — Aegean Region (Coastal)
 

St. Jean (Aziz Yahya) Kilisesi/The Church of St. John

 
 
St. Jean (Aziz Yahya) Kilisesi/The Church of St. John Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, May 22, 2011
1. St. Jean (Aziz Yahya) Kilisesi/The Church of St. John Marker
Inscription.
[Left column: text in Turkish]
[Right column: text in English]

According to the written sources, the basilica with wooden roof which includes St. John’s grave was in a poor situation in 6th century AD. Emperor Justinian (527–565 AD) and Queen Theodora constructed instead the six-domed church whose ruins are visible today. This church, which is cruciform and measures 130 by 65 meters, was one of the most impressive religious structures built after Artemis Temple in Ephesus. Since it played an important role in the Christian pilgrimages of the middle age, it attained the status of a “Church of the cross”. According to literary sources, the structure was in need of repair in the twelfth century. When Ephesus fell into Turkish hands after 1304, part of the church was converted into a mosque. A severe earthquake leveled it in 1365-70. Excavations of the church and its surrounding have continued since 1921-22 by Sotiriou. In 1927-30, Austrian Archaeological Institute finished the excavations inside. Ephesus Museum Directorate of Ministry of Culture excavated and restored the surrounding buildings and fortifications between 1960-2006. Excavation and restoration works are being conducted by a team from Pamukkale University since 2007 with the permission of Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
T.C.
St. Jean (Aziz Yahya) Kilisesi/The Church of St. John Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, May 22, 2011
2. St. Jean (Aziz Yahya) Kilisesi/The Church of St. John Marker
- close up of the church's original floor plan.
Kültür Ve Turizm Bakanliği & Pamukkale Üniversitesi Ayasuluk Tepesi Ve St. Jean Aniti Kazisi

 
Erected by T.C. Kültür Ve Turizm Bakanliği & Pamukkale Üniversitesi Ayasuluk Tepesi Ve St. Jean Aniti Kazisi.
 
Location. 37° 57.156′ N, 27° 22.066′ E. Marker is in Selçuk, İzmir, in Selçuk District. Marker can be reached from St. Jean Caddisi west of 2013 Sokak. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Basilica of St. John site, mounted among the ruins near the ancient church's north apse. Marker is in this post office area: Selçuk, İzmir 35920, Turkey.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Jean'in (Aziz Yahya) Kimliği Ve Hayatı/The Life of St. John (a few steps from this marker); The Basilica of St. John (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Hellenistic Fountain House (approx. 2.6 kilometers away in Izmir Province); The Great Theatre (approx. 2.6 kilometers away); The Bouleuterion (approx. 2.7 kilometers away in İzmir Province); The 'State Agora' (approx. 2.7 kilometers away in İzmir
St. Jean (Aziz Yahya) Kilisesi/The Church of St. John Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, May 22, 2011
3. St. Jean (Aziz Yahya) Kilisesi/The Church of St. John Marker
- close-up of an aerial photo reflecting the church's ancient cruciform outline amidst today's ruins.
Province); Processional Way (approx. 2.7 kilometers away); The 'Rhodian Peristyle' and The Prytaneum (approx. 2.7 kilometers away in Izmir Province). Click for a list of all markers in Selçuk.
 
Additional keywords. archaeology; Ayasuluk; Ayasoluk Hill
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
St. Jean (Aziz Yahya) Kilisesi/The Church of St. John Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, May 22, 2011
4. St. Jean (Aziz Yahya) Kilisesi/The Church of St. John Marker
- close-up of a model of the ancient Basilica of St. John.
Saint John's tomb image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, May 22, 2011
5. Saint John's tomb
Hillside signage marking the northeastern perimeter of the restored area. image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, May 22, 2011
6. Hillside signage marking the northeastern perimeter of the restored area.
Landscape to the southwest of the Basilica site image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, May 22, 2011
7. Landscape to the southwest of the Basilica site
- with the ruins of the Temple of Artemis [Diana] site, center middle.
Main entrance to the Basilica of St. John site - Roman portal, south wall image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, May 22, 2011
8. Main entrance to the Basilica of St. John site - Roman portal, south wall
- view from tour bus on St. Jean Road.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,150 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement