Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Columbus Iron Works

»—→

 
 
Columbus Iron Works Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
1. Columbus Iron Works Marker
Inscription. Established 1853, was operated by the Confederate government as Naval Iron Works, making cannon, other war munitions, and two gun boats. This plant was credited with making the first breech-loading cannon.

At south end of Dillingham Street bridge, two blocks west of this marker, was built the world’s first ice factory operated by Columbus Ice Mfg. Co. Ice machines made at the Columbus Iron Works were used in this plant.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-13.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 27.723′ N, 84° 59.696′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on Front Avenue 0 miles south of 9th Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is on the wall near the passenger drop off drive at the entrance to the Columbus Convention and Trade Center, the old Iron Works. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 Front Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Empire Mills (within shouting distance of this marker); Lummus Cotton Gins (about
Columbus Iron Works Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
2. Columbus Iron Works Marker
400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Garrett and Sons / Cargill-Wright Company (about 400 feet away); Early Residences (about 400 feet away); The Joseph House (about 600 feet away); Columbus’ First Theater (about 600 feet away); The Columbus Guards (approx. 0.2 miles away); Col. W. L. Salisbury (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
More about this marker. The marker was originally erected on a monopole near its present location.
 
Also see . . .  Columbus Trade Center. The Iron Works, which had been listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 as part of the Columbus Riverfront District, was an early example in Columbus of adaptive reuse. Beginning in 1977 the buildings were remodeled to their present use as the Columbus Convention and Trade Center. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWar, US Civil
 
Columbus Iron Works Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
3. Columbus Iron Works Marker
Looking at the entrance to the Columbus Convention and Trade Center
Columbus Iron Works Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
4. Columbus Iron Works Marker
The marker from the southbound lane of Front Avenue
Columbus Iron Works Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 1, 2011
5. Columbus Iron Works Marker
Looking from the passenger drop off area of the Convention and Trade Center, with Front Avenue on the left
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 746 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement