Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stillwater in Washington County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Tamarack House

 
 
Tamarack House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 11, 2011
1. Tamarack House Marker
Inscription. Here in 1839, in Crawford County, Wisconsin Territory, Joseph R. Brown, first settler of this valley, laid out the town of Dahcotah. The following year as a member of the Wisconsin Territorial Legislature, Brown secured passage of a bill setting up St. Croix County. In the election to select a county seat Dahcoth won and here Brown built Tamarack House to serve as a courthouse, the first capitol building in Minnesota.

[Seals of the State of Minnesota Department of Highways and The Minnesota Historical Society]

 
Erected 1954 by the Minnesota Department of Highways and Minnesota Historical Society. (Marker Number WA-SWC-714.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 45° 4.375′ N, 92° 48.457′ W. Marker is in Stillwater, Minnesota, in Washington County. Marker is on North Main Street (State Highway 95) 0.6 miles north of Elm Street East, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at a small roadside parking area. Marker is in this post office area: Stillwater MN 55082, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Warden's House (approx.
Tamarack House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 11, 2011
2. Tamarack House Marker
0.8 miles away); St. Croix Lumber Mills / Stillwater Manufacturing Company (approx. 0.9 miles away); Geology of Minnesota (approx. one mile away); 114 North Main Street (approx. 1.1 miles away); 1965 Easter Sunday Floodwater Crest (approx. 1.1 miles away); Connolly Shoe Company Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); 1884 Upper St. Croix River Log Jam (approx. 1.1 miles away); 226 East Myrtle Street (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Stillwater.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a limestone wall that is built into the side of a natural bluff. This wall was originally the back wall of the four-story Knipps Brewery that was built on this site in the 1860s. The building was razed in 1935, and the back wall of the stone brewery was left in place as a retaining wall.
 
Also see . . .
1. Joseph R. Brown. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on June 25, 2011.) 

2. Minnesota Department of Transportation. Historic Roadside Development Structures Inventory. (Submitted on June 25, 2011.) 
 
Categories. PoliticsSettlements & Settlers
 
Tamarack House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 11, 2011
3. Tamarack House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 380 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement