Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Felipe in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

J.J. Josey General Store

 
 
J.J. Josey General Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Henderson, May 27, 2011
1. J.J. Josey General Store Marker
Inscription. Built by John Crutcher in 1847 on the Plaza de Commercio in San Felipe, this was the last store built in the town after its 1836 burning by military order. Purchased in 1867 by Dr. J.J. Josey, it was in continuous operation as a store until 1942. The building has been relocated a number of times. Josey, in 1880, moved the store one mile east to a new location on the Texas Western Narrow Gauge Railroad. In 1962 the structure was returned to its original site and restored for use as a museum. It was moved to the Stephen F. Austin State Park in 1969.

Josey Store Museum
Last store in San Felipe. Built 1847, after town's 1836 burning by military order.

Moved 1 mile east to T.W.N.G. Railroad, 1880. Moved back to original site and restored, 1962. Opened as a museum, 1964, by Stephen F. Austin State Park Association.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1967

 
Erected 1987 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2678.)
 
Location. 29° 48.422′ N, 96° 5.904′ W. Marker is in San Felipe, Texas, in Austin County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market 1458 0.2 miles north of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Felipe TX 77473, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Stephen F. Austin's Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Roads To San Felipe (within shouting distance of this marker); John Bricker (within shouting distance of this marker); Liedertafel (approx. 4.6 miles away); Martin Allen (approx. 9.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. The Colonial Capital of Texas. Friends of the San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Spelling error in the marker.
The word Commercio (Spanish for "Commerce") is misspelled and should be Comercio.
    — Submitted November 6, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.

 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. This page has been viewed 686 times since then and 28 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide area shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement