Orangeburg in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The “Towne of Orange” formed in the Tappan Patent grant of 1686-7 became the seat of provincial government of all Orange County, established in 1683, which then included this area, south of the mountains, set off as Rockland County in 1798. The name Orange was chosen by the colonial custom of honoring members of the royal family.
Erected 1988 by Historical Society of Rockland County.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County marker series.
Location. 41° 2.598′ N, 73° 59.116′ W. Marker is in Orangeburg, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is at the intersection of Orangeburg Road (County Route 20) and Hunt Road (County Route 16), on the right when traveling east on Orangeburg Road. Click for map. Marker is in Veteranís Memorial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Orangeburg NY 10962, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salyer House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cuyper-Van Houten House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Haring - DeWolf House Blauvelt-Seaman House (approx. 1.6 miles away in New Jersey); Camp Shanks (approx. 1.6 miles away); Shanks Village (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Shanks (approx. 1.6 miles away); Johannes Perry House (approx. 1.7 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.