Mahwah in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ramapo Valley Road
First an Indian path, then an important road during the period of colonial settlement. Washington’s army used this road in July 1777, and at many other times during the revolution. This is one of America’s oldest roads. It was an important link between New England and the South.
The Valley Association
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 24.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 3.999′ N, 74° 12.324′ W. Marker is in Mahwah, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Ramapo Valley Road (U.S. 202) 0.3 miles north of Bear Swamp Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 888 Ramapo Valley Road, Mahwah NJ 07430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cleveland Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Winter Farmhouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dellbrook Estate, Baldwin Residence (approx. 1.1 miles away); A.B. Darling Mansion Laroe-Van Horn House (approx. 2.3 miles away); David Van Gelder House (approx. 2.7 miles away); Hendrik Van Allen House (approx. 3 miles away); Hendrick Van Allen House (approx. 3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mahwah.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 723 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.