Elmwood Park in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Van Houten-Hillman House
Built c. 1782 by Cornelius J. Van Houten as an addition to the earlier house of his father, John C. Van Houten. Located in “Slotterdam”, the farm stretched between the Passaic and Saddle Rivers and was raided during the Revolutionary War by the British in 1776. Later owned by the Cadmus and Brooks families, it was purchased in 1888 by Herman Hillman. In 1901 he remodeled the homestead which he and his descendants have owned for five generations.
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 69.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 53.443′ N, 74° 7.661′ W. Marker is in Elmwood Park, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of River Drive and Garden Drive, on the left when traveling south on River Drive. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 891 River Drive, Elmwood Park NJ 07407, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Post Ford (approx. ¾ mile away); Washington’s March (approx. 0.9 miles away); The York Road Simeon Van Winkles (approx. 1.5 miles away); Pulaski (approx. 1.8 miles away); Abraham Godwin (approx. 1.8 miles away); Passaic County Soldiers and Sailors Monument (approx. 1.8 miles away); Curie (approx. 1.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 869 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.