Hillsdale in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
About 1756 Peter Westervelt built a small house, enlarged in 1785, on land of his wife Catlyntje Haring. During the Revolutionary War the farm was raided. Later it was owned by son Henry and his son Aaron, a Freeholder and State Assemblyman. Purchased in 1860, he built the addition in Italianate style of the north side of the old house. Alterations were made over the years. A later owner was William W. Livengood, Mayor of Hillsdale in 1930.
Erected 1997 by Bergen County Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 0.182′ N, 74° 3.371′ W. Marker is in Hillsdale, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Hillsdale Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located on Hillsdale Avenue between Pascack Road and Ell Road. Marker is in this post office area: Hillsdale NJ 07642, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Garret Durie House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capt. John H. Banta Homestead (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hillsdale Veterans Monument Hillsdale Fire Department Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away); Henry J. Werner (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hillsdale Police Booth (approx. 0.8 miles away); Wortendyke Homestead (approx. 1.3 miles away); Charles A. Bellon (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hillsdale.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 750 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.