Hillsdale in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Garret Durie House
Located in “Pascack” on land inherited from his father, Garret Durie built this house about 1767. During the Revolutionary War, the house was plundered by both American and British armies. Durie was a farmer and a blacksmith as well as a Bergen County Freeholder, Justice and Judge. The house, later enlarged, was inherited by his daughter and through her passed to the Terhune and Hopper families.
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 21.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 0.045′ N, 74° 3.372′ W. Marker is in Hillsdale, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Ell Road near Jan Court, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 156 Ell Road, Hillsdale NJ 07642, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Westervelt-Demarest House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capt. John H. Banta Homestead (approx. half a mile away); Hillsdale Veterans Monument Hillsdale Police Booth (approx. 0.8 miles away); Henry J. Werner (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hillsdale Fire Department Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away); Charles A. Bellon (approx. 1.3 miles away); Westwood Veterans Monument (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hillsdale.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on June 26, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 614 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.