Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ice, Brewing and Bottles
In the mid-19th century, freight began to be moved more by canal and rail, rather than along navigable rivers. Rafting of lumber on the Delaware waned as the forests upstream were denuded of wood, Riverfront structures were abandoned and demolished and beginning in the 1850s local potteries and metal-working companies came down to the riverbank to dump their industrial waste. This latter activity resulted in the shoreline shifting out into the river creating a strip of fresh-filled land on which buildings
In 1890, with refrigeration revolutionizing the foodstuffs industry nationwide, the newly incorporated Trenton Hygeian Ice Company set up an ice-making factory at the corner of Lamberton and Lalor Streets. On the nearby riverbank a large stone pier was built to receive shipments of coal. In the following year the Trenton Brewing Company incorporated and a brewery was added to the facilities. The prime mover in both businesses was the Kuser family. In the early 1890s ice was the main product and advertisements described “Hygeian Ice” as being “made from Artesian Well Water, Boiled and Distilled Ö. Contains no sewerage matter” and “The Purest and Best Sold in the City.” But within a few years the brewery was in the ascendant, producing award-winning beers such as “Gold Seal” and “Trenton Old Stock” and serving as the sole supplier of quality beer to the Waldorf Hotel in New York City.
Throughout the 1890s the plant expanded to accommodate the growing emphasis on brewing and bottling, culminating in the consolidation in 1899 of the Kuser brewing and bottling interests and several other
The Peoples Brewing Company prospered through the early 20th century and was the only area brewery to operate through the Prohibition era (1920-33), switching production at this time to “near-beer” in place of alcoholic fare. Once the Prohibition constraints were lifted, the plant was upgraded and increased production to 100,000 bottles of beer daily. Throughout this period, the ice making and refrigeration facilities continued at the corner of Lamberton and Lalor Streets, with the main brewery adjoining to the north; the bottling plant was located across Lamberton Street on the riverbank. In 1949, the factory changed hands and the new owners, the Metropolis Brewery Company, began manufacturing the malt liquor known as Champale and other lesser-known beers. Champale remained a popular brand into the 1970s, but subsequently fell out of favor, prompting successive sales of the brewery and a final closure in 1986.
The Delaware Inn
Known later as the Red Tavern, this facility was one of Lambertonís main attractions for raftsmen, stevedores, fishermen and local residents well into the 19th century. It was also used for civic functions and as a place where travelers could stay overnight. By 1840 the tavern had been converted into a residence and soon after came into the hands of the Lenoxes, a family that dominated
By 1890, the old port of Lamberton had largely vanished and the character of the river frontage was changing. The Lenox residence had by now reverted to its original commercial usage and become known as “The Delaware Inn.” The hotel was unable to sustain a steady business through the Depression and World War II. In 1942 the premises were acquired by the Champale Brewing Company and converted into offices, continuing in this capacity until the 1980s.
Erected 2004 by New Jersey Department of Transportation.
Location. 40° 11.879′ N, 74° 45.49′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 29. Click for map. This marker is in South River Walk park which is built over top of Route 29. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08611, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pre-17th Century Trenton Timeline (a few steps from this marker); Europeans at the Falls of the Delaware (a few steps Quakers Lead the Settlement of West Jersey (a few steps from this marker); The West Jersey Proprietors Rule (a few steps from this marker); William Trent of Trentís Town (a few steps from this marker); Native American Artifacts – Clubs to Prehistory (a few steps from this marker); Who, What and Where were Sanhickans? (a few steps from this marker); Native Americans Exchange Furs for European Goods (a few steps from this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Trenton.
More about this marker. The marker is in the northern half of the park closest to the main entrance at Lalor Street. It is on the right as you approach the Trenton Timeline and Arches.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,599 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.