Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Presidentís House

Dickinson College

 

óWalking Tour Stop 15 ó

 
The Presidentís House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 7, 2010
1. The Presidentís House Marker
Inscription. This colonial revival-style home began as a smaller “villa,” built in 1833 by the Hon. John Reed, who had attended Dickinson College with the class of 1806. Through classes conducted in the basement of this house, Judge Reed in 1834 gave an informal start to the Dickinson School of Law, which is separate from Dickinson College.

In 1889, Dickinson College President George Reed (no relation) purchased the property. He sold it to the college, and it has since served as home to Dickinsonís presidents. Changes to the house have included the addition of second and third floors, a new northern faÁade, extensive landscaping and the removal of stucco to reveal the homeís natural brick exterior.

An elegant blend of old and new, the Presidentís House is a center of campus activity and a source of inspiration for the education of citizen-leaders, reflecting the historic significance and bold future of Dickinson College.
 
Erected by Historic Carlisle, Inc.
 
Location. 40° 12.108′ N, 77° 11.662′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of West High Street (U.S. 11) and West Street, on the right when traveling east on West High Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Marker in Carlisle image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 7, 2010
2. Marker in Carlisle
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The John Dickinson Campus of Dickinson College (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Benjamin Rush (within shouting distance of this marker); West College: A National Historic Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Dickinson College (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Butler (about 600 feet away); James Wilson (about 700 feet away); The High Street Train Stations (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Carlisle.
 
More about this marker. Two photographs of the Presidentís House, courtesy of Dickinson College Archives, appear on the marker. A nineteenth photo has a caption of “In 1890 the “villa” was enlarged to include a second story.” The other photo has a caption of “By 1930, when the house was painted white, a wrap-around front porch had been added.”
 
Also see . . .  President's House. Details of Dickinson Collegeís Presidentís House, including images of the house. (Submitted on June 29, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Education
 
The Presidentís House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 7, 2010
3. The Presidentís House Marker
The Presidentís House can be seen in this photo behind the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement