“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fairfield in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Lewis Corner

Lewis Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
By Darlene White
1. Lewis Corner Marker
Marker prior to installation.
Inscription. Known as Lewis Corner because of a sharp curve in the road. This nearby location was home to Eugene Lewis, Sr. (May 31, 1884-May 18, 1966) and wife Jessie Ward Lewis (Feb.9, 1890-Jan. 1,1968). The Lewises and their 10 children resided here from 1915 unil 1966 on land owned by their friends, the F.E. Hill family, in Blount community.

Eugene was a self-educated and well respected man who served with Delbert Ivy and Henry Richardson on the school board of Rocky Springs School District, which was composed of the schools of Blount, Spring Bank, Titus Farms, Flat Woods, Rocky Springs and Union. He also served as a leader in the Trinity Chapel Church. Lewis raised swine and cattle and grew cotton, corn, sugarcane, sorghum, and vegetable crops. Approx. 350 yards northeast is the location of the original Hill Family Cemetery dating to the late 1800s. Other nearby communites included Turlington, Antioch, Troy, Trinity Chapel, Brown's Creek, Young's Mill, Titus Farms, and Pilot Knob (highest elevaton in Freestone County).

This site is known locally as "The Gene Lewis Field" and is now owned by Luminant Mining Company.
Erected 2011 by Luminant Big Brown-Turlington.
Location. 31° 46.699′ N, 96° 2.369′ W. Marker is near Fairfield, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is on Blount Road (County Road 235), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Location is approximate. Marker is in this post office area: Fairfield TX 75840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Freestone Jail (approx. 7.8 miles away); Butler Church Bell (approx. 7.8 miles away); The Fridolin (Fred) Fischer Home (approx. 7.9 miles away); Val Verde Battery (approx. 8 miles away); Captain L.D. Bradley (approx. 8 miles away); Freestone County (approx. 8 miles away); The Manahan House (approx. 8 miles away); Butler Soldiers' Homes, C.S.A. (approx. 10.3 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Fairfield.
Categories. AgricultureAnimalsCemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Darlene White of Ferris, Texas. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 52 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Darlene White of Ferris, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of installed marker and its surrounding area. • Confirmed coordinates of marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement