Duchesne in Duchesne County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Explorers, trappers and traders were here before Brigham Young sent a group, in 1861, to prepare the way for Mormon colonization. But in October 1861 the U.S. Government set apart Uintah Valley for Indian Reservation. In 1905 a portion was opened for white settlement. June 6, 1905, A.M. Murdock daughter Dora, and Sogoosie Jack (Indian) with 52 men organized a town called Dora, later Theodore, then Duchesne. This bell was used for school, church, curfew and as a fire alarm for many years.
Erected 1955 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 207.)
Location. 40° 9.814′ N, 110° 24.21′ W. Marker is in Duchesne, Utah, in Duchesne County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 40) and N 100 West Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Duchesne UT 84021, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne (approx. half a mile away); Father Escalante (approx. half a mile away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. This page has been viewed 551 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Jack Duffy of West Jordan, Utah. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?