Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McDonough in Henry County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Right Wing at McDonough

 
 
The Right Wing at McDonough Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
1. The Right Wing at McDonough Marker
Inscription. On the night of Nov. 16, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of General Sherman´s army (USA), which had marched from Atlanta the morning before on its destructive March to the Sea, camped in and near McDonough. Hq. Department and Army of the Tennessee (the Right Wing), Maj. Gen. O.O. Howard, USA, and Hq. 15th Corps (Osterhaus) were established in McDonough. Hq. 17th Corps (Blair) was established on Walnut Creek (2 miles N). Kilpatrick´s cavalry division, after driving Iverson’s smaller cavalry division [CS] from Lovejoy’s and Bear Creek (Hampton) stations (west of McDonough on the Central of Georgia Railway), turned east and camped on the Griffin and McDonough Road.

On Nov. 17th, the 15th Corps marched south on the Jackson Road. South of Locust Grove, Wood’s and Hazen’s divisions took a road to the west of Jackson and camped near Liberty Church (3 miles SW of Indian Springs). Smith’s and Corse’s divisions marched through Jackson and camped east of the town.

The 17th Corps (less G.A. Smith’s division) followed the 15th Corps to Jackson and camped in and near the town. G.A. Smith´s division, accompanied by the 1st Missouri Engineers (with a pontoon train), marched east from McDonough on the Key’s Ferry road and camped near South River, west of Hendricks’s Mill. Kilpatrick´s cavalry division marched
The Right Wing at McDonough Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
2. The Right Wing at McDonough Marker
Looking south on Atlanta Street (US 23) toward downtown McDonough
to the Towaliga River to threaten Forsyth, and camped at points north of that stream.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 075-5.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
 
Location. 33° 27.354′ N, 84° 9.11′ W. Marker is in McDonough, Georgia, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of Atlanta Street (U.S. 23) and Park Circle, on the right when traveling south on Atlanta Street. Click for map. The marker stands at the exit of a city park at the north edge of McDonough. Marker is in this post office area: McDonough GA 30253, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Shingleroof Campground (approx. 2.1 miles away); Locust Grove Institute (approx. 7.5 miles away); The Orphan Brigade (approx. 7.8 miles away); The Right Wing at Stockbridge (approx. 7.9 miles away); Kilpatrick's Raid at the Nash Farm (approx. 8 miles away); Locomotive Bell from the Nancy Hanks (approx. 8 miles away); "The Old Bronze Gentleman of Lovejoy's Station" (approx. 8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in McDonough.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
The Right Wing at McDonough Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 2, 2011
3. The Right Wing at McDonough Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 648 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement