Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodland in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Woodland Ferry

 
 
Woodland Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
1. Woodland Ferry Marker
Inscription. By the 1740s a ferry service was being regularly operated at this location by James Cannon. He was succeeded by his son Jacob, who constructeda much-needed causeway on this side of the river for the improvement of the business. Threatened by competitors, Jacob's widow Betty Cannon successfully petitioned the Delaware General Assembly in 1793 for "sole and exclusive" rights to the operation of the service. The ferry continued to be operated by members of the Cannon family until the mid-19th century. In 1883 the legislature authorized the county government to establish and maintain "a public ferry across the Nanticoke River at the place now known as Woodland, but formerly known as Cannon's Ferry." The Act further required "that all citizens of the State, with their teams, wagons, and carriages, shall be transported across said ferry at all times between sunrise and sunset, free of charge." In 1935 the State of Delaware assumed responsibility for the maintenance of roads and the operation of the ferry. Landing areas on both sides of the river have been improved and are jointly maintained by the State and local citizens.
 
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-173.)
 
Location. 38° 35.948′ N, 75° 
Woodland Park image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
2. Woodland Park
39.357′ W. Marker is in Woodland, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Woodland Ferry Road 3.9 miles east of W. Stein Highway (Delaware Route 20), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located on the east bank of the Nanticoke River. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cannon's Ferry (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sailor's Bethel Methodist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bethel Shipyard (approx. 2.8 miles away); Portsville United Methodist Church (approx. 3 miles away); Stein Highway (approx. 3.5 miles away); Blades United Methodist Church (approx. 3.5 miles away); Mount Zion United Methodist Church (approx. 3.5 miles away); Seaford Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away).
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesWaterways & Vessels
 
Woodland Ferry image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
3. Woodland Ferry
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,944 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement