Near Brandy Station in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Battle of Brandy Station
The Race for Fleetwood Hill
Stuart was surprised when word came of a Federal attack on his outposts at Beverly Ford at first light on June 9. He sent his headquarters wagons off to Culpeper Court House and responded swiftly to Brig. Gen. John Buford's Union challenge. The strong line Stuart established near St. James Church began pushing back the Federals by late morning.
But a second surprise - and near disaster - arrived about 11 a.m. Another Union division, 2,200 men under Brig. Gen. David M. Gregg, had crossed the river at Kelly's Ford with minimal opposition and appeared in Stuart's rear. A quick-thinking Confederate staff officer opened fire with a solitary cannon from the crest of Fleetwood Hill on the Federal troopers exiting the village of Brandy Station. Meanwhile, couriers dashed off to Stuart, then a mile away near St. James Church. Stuart acted decisively. Pulling his regiments from
It was a race for the high ground, but Stuart's men reached the grassy crest before Gregg's. Pouring down on the other side, the Confederates hit Col. Percy Wyndham's Union cavalry brigade hard, blunting the first Federal attack.
The Hallowell Foundation generously contributed toward the interpretation of this site in memory of Carrington Williams.
Help Preserve Battlefields • call CWPT at 1-888-606-1400 • www.civilwar.org
This material is based upon work assisted by a grant from the Department of the Interior, National Park Service. Any opinion, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of the Interior.
Erected by Civil War Preservation Trust.
Location. 38° 30.45′ N, 77° 53′ W. Marker is near Brandy Station, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is on Fleetwood Heights Road (County Route 685), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located on the Civil War Preservation Trust's Fleetwood Hill exhibition area for the Battle of Brandy Station. Marker is in this post office area: Brandy Station VA 22714, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are The Battle of Brandy Station (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (approx. ¼ mile away); The 1863-64 Winter Encampment (approx. half a mile away); In Memory of Major John Pelham (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. James Episcopal Church (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Brandy Station.
More about this marker. On the right side of the marker "The valiant charge of the 35th Virginia Cavalry is depicted in The Gray Comanches by Don Troiani, courtesy of Historical Art Prints, Ltd."
Regarding The Battle of Brandy Station. This is one of several markers interpreting the Battle of Brandy Station and the winter encampments of 1863-64 in Culpeper County. See the Battle of Brandy Station Virtual Tour by Markers linked below for additional related markers.
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Brandy Station. National Park Service summary of the battle includes a driving tour.
2. Brandy Station Foundation. Through the efforts of the Brandy Station Foundation, Civil War Preservation Trust, and other organizations, over 960 acres of this battlefield have been preserved.
3. Brandy Station. Civil War Preservation Trust page on the battle.
4. Battle of Brandy Station Virtual Tour by Markers. A set markers that document the Battle of Brandy Station, June 9, 1863, and the Winter Encampment of 1863-64. Note the order of appearance is geographic and not chronologically aligned to the battle.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,130 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on December 30, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on March 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 30, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.