Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Daytona Beach in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ivey's Building

 
 
Ivey's Building Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 14, 2010
1. Ivey's Building Plaque
Inscription.
This Property Has Been
Placed On The
National Register
Of Historic Places
By The United States
Department of the Interior


 
Location. 29° 12.624′ N, 81° 1.115′ W. Marker is in Daytona Beach, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is at the intersection of South Beach Street and Magnolia Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Beach Street. Click for map. The building is in downtown Daytona Beach, within the South Beach Street Historic District (a National Historic District). Marker is at or near this postal address: 166 South Beach Street, Daytona Beach FL 32114, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. S. H. Kress and Co. Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jessup's Building (about 600 feet away); Merchants Bank Building (about 700 feet away); Halifax Lodge No. 81 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Valor (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Daytona Beach.
 
More about this marker. The plaque is mounted on the front of the building, near its southeast corner.
Ivey's Building image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 14, 2010
2. Ivey's Building
The southeast corner sits at the intersection of Beach Street and Magnolia Avenue. The NRHP plaque is seen mounted on the blue tile wall to the right.

 
Regarding Ivey's Building. The building itself is not listed with the National Register of Historic Places in its own right. It received the NRHP plaque as a Contributing Structure within the South Beach Street Historic District (NRHP #88001597).

The building was home to Ivey's, a popular North Carolina-based department store chain, founded in 1900 as J.B. Ivey & Company. As they expanded into Florida, Ivey's bought out the Yowell-Drew Co., a purveyor which had opened at this Beech Street location in 1927. For a time they operated as Yowell-Drew-Ivey Company, but later reverted simply to Ivey's. Ivey's continued to operate from this location until 1974, when they moved to the newly built Volusia Mall.

The Ivey's chain remained in business until 1990, when they were acquired by Dillard's, Inc.

The building is currently vacant, but appears to be in excellent condition. In recent years, it was home to an antiques mall.
 
Also see . . .  The Department Store Museum. The on-line museum of America and Canada's late, lamented independent department stores. (Submitted on July 7, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.) 
 
Additional keywords. South Beach Street Historic District
The old Ivey's Building image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 15, 2010
3. The old Ivey's Building

 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The old Ivey's Building image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 15, 2010
4. The old Ivey's Building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement