Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
One story structure built by
John C. Leitner
Archibald S. Wingfield
Added second floor
wealthy merchant & planter
David G. Cotting
Ga. Secretary of State
during Reconstruction period
Maj. General Lloyd D. Brown
Federal style with square columns
J. Carlton Norris
Erected by W-WHF (Washington-Wilkes Historical Foundation).
Location. 33° 44.129′ N, 82° 44.192′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is on South Alexander Avenue south of East Liberty Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is planted near the street in the lawn directly in front of the house, and to the left of the front steps. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 South Alexander Avenue, Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1893 Victorian (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Campbell Home (about 300 feet away); Holly Court (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Holly Court (about 500 feet away); Mary Willis Library Washington Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Home of Sarah Hillhouse (about 600 feet away); Duncan G. Cambell's First Law Office (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
Regarding Norris House. The home at 201 South Alexander Avenue in Washington, GA had a one-story layout when John Leitner built it in 1814. The second story addition would come twenty-one years later, to become the residence of Archibald Simpson Wingfield. The Wingfields were a large and very prominent family. Archibald, like other planters, was a slave-owner, and his will lists several "negroes" amongst his furniture, livestock, and other earthly belongings. He was also a good record-keeper, and fortunately, his surviving family records and personal documents today offer important genealogical data for many slave descendants.
After Wingfield's death in 1861, the house eventually became the residence of the Secretary of State of Georgia, David G. Cotting. Some feel that during the long and difficult period of post Civil-War Reconstruction, Cotting's influence and political clout gave Washington a possible advantage over other Georgia towns.
Over nearly two centuries, the house has seen many changes and modifications. Despite this, the building's structural integrity has not been significantly altered or harmed. Today it is cared for by Carlton and Margaret Norris, who acquired the home in 1993.
The home was featured on the Washington-Wilkes Spring Tour of Homes in 2009.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 387 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 4. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.