“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crawford in Dawes County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)


Crawford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Sue Heist, July 5, 2010
1. Crawford Marker
Inscription. Crawford sprang up as a tent city on land owned by homesteader/newspaper correspondent William E. Annin in 1886 when the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad pushed through the Nebraska Panhandle. To Incorporate the town, editor William Edgar supplemented civilian signatures with those of obliging soldiers stationed at nearby Fort Robinson. After the Burlington Railroad passed northward in 1887, Crawford became a supply depot and entertainment center for the Fort. Troops no longer man the "Outpost on the Plains," but the Fort, 3 miles to the west, remains as an important historic site and tourist attraction.

Named for Army Captain Emmet Crawford, a Fort Robinson soldier, the city lies in the White River Valley in Pine Ridge country and serves an extensive cattle ranching and farming area. The Fort Laramie-Fort Pierre Fur Trail of the 1840s and the Sidney-Black Hills Trail active during the Black Hills gold rush of the 1870s both passed through this site. Crawford has been host or home to such personages as Sioux Chief Red Clouds; former desperado David (Doc) Middleton' poet-scout John Wallace Crawford; frontierswoman Calamity Jane; Army scout Baptiste (Little Bat) Garnier, shot down in a saloon; military surgeon Walter Reed, conqueror of yellow fever; and President Theodore Roosevelt.
Erected by Crawford Historical Society and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 227.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 40.672′ N, 103° 24.217′ W. Marker is in Crawford, Nebraska, in Dawes County. Marker is at the intersection of McPhearson Street (U.S. 20) and State Highway 2, on the right when traveling east on McPhearson Street. Click for map. The site is a T intersection and the marker is on a side road connecting the two highways and where the Tourist Information booth is located. Marker is in this post office area: Crawford NE 69339, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Robinson (approx. 3.1 miles away); Fort Robinson (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Cheyenne Outbreak (approx. 5 miles away).
Additional keywords. Indian Wars
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Linda Sue Heist of Lincoln, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 862 times since then and 100 times this year. Last updated on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. Photo   1. submitted on , by Linda Sue Heist of Lincoln, Nebraska. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement