South Nyack in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built in 1854 for A. J. Storms of the Storms Tub & Pail Factory. 1875-1882 home of Edwin Stillwell, Captain of the Nyack-Tarrytown Ferry. Purchased 1885 by the Couch Family. Dr. Louis Couch used the tower for his Homeopathic practice. Daughter Natalie, a law clerk for Judge Arthur S. Tompkins, became the County’s 1st woman attorney. “Couch Court” served as law offices and Town Hall of Orangetown from 1942-1951.
Erected by The Historical Society of Rockland County.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County marker series.
Location. 41° 5.347′ N, 73° 55.135′ W. Marker is in South Nyack, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is at the intersection of S Broadway and Depew Avenue, on the right when traveling south on S Broadway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nyack NY 10960, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Reformed Church of Nyack (about 400 feet away); Nyack First Settlement Carson McCullers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hopper House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Underground Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Underground Railroad (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oak Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 505 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.