Stateburg in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Church of the Holy Cross
of Historic Places
Department of Archives
Church Of The
Erected 1973. (Marker Number 73001732.)
Location. 33° 57.198′ N, 80° 31.939′ W. Marker is in Stateburg, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on North Kings Highway (South Carolina Route 261), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 335 North Kings Highway, Sumter SC 29154, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Church of the Holy Cross Stateburg / Holy Cross Churchyard (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Church of the Holy Cross (within shouting distance of this marker); Joel Roberts Poinsett (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Stateburg (approx. 0.4 miles away); Early Charleston Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); William Tennent (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle of Beech Creek / The Civil War Ends In S.C (approx. 1.4 miles away); High Hills Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Stateburg.
Regarding Church of the Holy Cross.
National Register of Historic Places:
Holy Cross Episcopal Church *** (added 1973 - - #73001732)
Also known as Church of the Holy Cross
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
♦ Architectural Style: Gothic Revival
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1850-1874
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Religion
♦ Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
♦ Current Function: Religion
♦ Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
1. Church of the Holy Cross
began as a chapel of ease to St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Clarendon County. In 1788, it was granted a
charter as the Episcopal Church of Claremont. On September 11, 1850, the cornerstone of the present church was laid on the site of the old church and the name changed to the Church Of The Holy Cross. The church is an unusually lovely mid-nineteenth century structure of pise de terre (rammed earth) built in a simple but highly refined gothic revival style by the architect Edward C. Jones, Charleston, S.C.
— Submitted July 6, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 405 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 9, 10, 11. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.