Meyersdale in Somerset County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1874 - 1974
Originally founded by
three land warrants to:
1784 John Olinger
1785 Andrew Borntrager
1785 John Burger
1803 Meyers Mills “Moyer’s Stadt”
1844 First town lots were laid out
1870 Chartered as Dale City Borough
1874 Charter amended to Meyersdale
Location. 39° 48.803′ N, 79° 1.534′ W. Marker is in Meyersdale, Pennsylvania, in Somerset County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street (U.S. 219) and Market Square, on the left when traveling north on Center Street. Click for map. Marker is located in Monument (or Market) Square at point where U. S. 219, Center Street and Meyers Avenue meet. Marker is in this post office area: Meyersdale PA 15552, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lest We Forget (a few steps from this marker); Western Maryland Railway (approx. 0.3 miles away); Flora Black (approx. 2.9 miles away); T/Sgt. Melvin F. Wooten (approx. 4.8 miles away); John Nelson Davis (approx. 8.2 miles away); General Robert Philson (approx. 8.3 miles away); Berlin (approx. 8.3 miles away); Mt. Davis (approx. 8.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Meyersdale.
Also see . . . History of Meyersdale. Narrative from History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, Blackburn and Welfley, 1906. (Submitted on July 6, 2011.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 337 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on . • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.