Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Smith (1867-1877) and
Fluker & Brother Cotton Gin Manufactory
Also the location of
W.T. Johnson's first store.
A hardware store has been located here
Location. 33° 44.207′ N, 82° 44.325′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is on East Robert Toombs Avenue (Business U.S. 78) west of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. The building is located southeast of the square in downtown Washington, along the border of the Washington Commercial Historic District (a National Historic District). Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 East Robert Toombs Avenue, Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Great Fire of 1837 (a few steps from this marker); Site of W.T. Fluker Gun Smith (a few steps from this marker); Stage Coach Inn (a few steps from this marker); Old Vault of the Citizens National Bank (a few steps from this marker); Jean Marie Chotard LaPlace Home Site (a few steps from this marker); The White House One of Washington's Oldest Houses (within shouting distance of this marker); Medical Office (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
More about this marker. The marker is on the front of the building, which is more commonly known as the Poss ACE Hardware store. The marker is on the brick pillar to the left of the store entrance.
The marker does not mention by whom it was erected, but it appears very similar to other historical markers throughout the area that were erected by the Washington-Wilkes Historical Foundation.
Regarding Lowe Building. The gun smith, William Thomas Fluker, Jr., was a Civil War veteran of Company D, 15th Georgia Vol. Infantry, Confederate States Army. His great-grandfather, Owen Fluker was part of the Wilkes County Regiments Georgia Militia during the Revolutionary War, and is mentioned on the Kettle Creek Battlefield historical marker (approximately 9 miles away, in southwest Wilkes County - note there are multiple markers for that site).
William Theophilus Johnson's "first store" was indeed a hardware store, though in its early
Upon the Johnson's store site now stands the Lowe Building, which according to its capstone, was erected in 1930. It is commonly known as Poss ACE Hardware, opened by the late Virgil Poss and his wife Julia. In 1988, the Posses sold the business to Tommy Garrett, who had worked at the store since 1956. As of this page's submission, Mr. Garrett continues to operate the store; and in 2006, Mr. Garrett was honored by ACE with the Estwing Golden Hammer Award for 50 years of service in the hardware trade.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 3. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.